One of the sweet recipes my mom inherited from my grandmother was Palathalikalu, it was my favorite deserts growing up. My mom now have a modern variation to this old time favorite, and last time when I was in India, she shared this recipe with me. while it is much easier than the old fashioned recipe, addition of powdered bread makes it thick and creamy. Here is the recipe..
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs( 2 day old bread works perfect)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Powdered Cardamom
- Nuts to garnish.
- Sift the flour and add salt and warm water to the flour and kneed the flour.
- Grease your palms and make little balls with the dough, set aside.
- Cut the corners of the bread and blend until powdered.
- Start boiling milk on medium and stir constantly.
- Once the milk comes to boil, add the the flour balls, bread crumbs, sugar, let it cook for 10 mins or until the balls are cooked and soft.
- Add the powdered cardamom, saffron and boil it for 5-7 min or until the milk thickens to a desired consistency.
- Let it cool, refrigerate. Garnish with nuts of your choice.
P.S – As per the recipe its is suggested to use white bread, I opted for wheat just because I prefer wheat.